"I am the partner of a survivor who was sexually abused as a young boy. I have written a poem about how this has affected me as his best friend, wife of 30 years and our family. I have found that partners are often 'invisible'.
"I lost;
my best mate
my partner
my lover
my rock
my protector
my sounding board
my son's support
I miss;
his jokes
our laughter
his cheeky smile
his strength
sharing
working together
intimacy
the connection I had with my sons
I stay;
while he tries hard to get better
while I still see a glimpse of him every now and then
trying to cope behind the facade
while he reaches out when I need him
while there is hope."
By Louise
http://www.blueknot.org.au/WHAT-WE-DO/For-Family-and-Friends/Resources-for-Family-Friends#160278-role-of-family-friends-partners-and-loved-ones
I would be Louise if he'd let me be. I stay. I have stayed. I will stay. But he leaves. I'm not vain or naive; it's not that I don't think there could be someone better than me out there for him. I'm sure there are tons of women who could be better than me. That's not the point. The point is that I chose him. He chose me. We made a commitment, and I am here to stay with it until death. Even through the hard parts. ESPECIALLY through the hard parts. I know him. I have been here for him. He dipped a toe into recovery and it was too frightening so he took his toe out. Now, he's wondering if he should jump right in, but doesn't want me waiting on the shore.
No comments:
Post a Comment