Tuesday, July 31, 2012

To Relate

I read it in a book last night, while finally settling in to smooth cool sheets after another long day. It wasn't the words, necessarily, but the idea behind it. "A woman longs to be sought after, too, with the whole heart of her pursuer. God longs to be desired. Just as a woman longs to be desired. This is not some weakness or insecurity on the part of a woman, that deep yearning to be desired...God feels the same way." - Captivating, pg 29 While reading this, I recalled a conversation from a long time ago, a conversation about Adam's and Eve's roles, and how when man was first formed by God, he made a *person*. It was both Adam and Eve together. When God put the human to sleep and took the woman out, he left behind man. Woman was not made up of scraps of left-over material. She was there all along. She was made in God's image, just as much as Man. God separated His image into two distinct different halves of the same being. Together they worked, alone it was not right. And while recalling this long-ago conversation, I was also reminded of a part I read from the book, The Shack. "If I were simply One God and only One Person, then you would find yourself in this Creation without something wonderful, without something essential even. And I would be utterly other than I am." "And we would be without....?" Mack didn't even know how to finish the question. "Love and relationship. All love and relationship is possible for you only because it already exists within Me, within God myself. Love is not the limitation; love is the flying. I am love." Relationship. A desire to be wanted, to belong to another, to be sought after. This is how God made me, because it is how He is, Himself. What are we in the world without relationships?

No comments: