Friday, January 27, 2012

And when they are old...

My desire to homeschool my children is one that I've needed to defend often throughout the years. But this year, the year that my oldest became a fifth grader, I have had to defend it like no other.
Over and over again I've needed to assure those around me that I enjoy having my children with me during the day. I've had to assure them that my children are, in fact, learning something. I've had to assure them that we are all physically, mentally, and emotionally healthy. It's very interesting to me the way others seem to take on very strong opinions regarding the way I choose to bring up my children.
One thing that I have had to share with my family and friends this year is the idea that homeschooling is not just about school. It is about life. Homeschooling is not just doing the math, reading, and writing in our house instead of in the building down the road. Homeschooling is a lifestyle I've chosen in order to support the goals I have for my children. *This* is what I want to get across to those out there who cannot understand my reasons for wanting to keep my children with me through the day. There is a much bigger picture I have in mind when I plan out each and every one of our days.

My Goals for My Children:

To love learning and to have a desire to know more.

To remember what they've learned because they enjoyed learning it.

To know how to set goals and accomplish them.

To feel proud of themselves and confident around others.

To feel capable of making a difference in the world.

To see beyond themselves and to have a *world* vision.

To bloom wherever they may be planted.

To feel comfortable in various situations and with various types of people.

To find a great love, to seek it and to gain it.

Now I know that many children may be able to accomplish all of this while attending a public or private school. I know that there are many awesome schools out there, and many, many caring and excellent teachers. And one day I may want to send my children to one of those schools. But for today, I enjoy their presence at home. I appreciate knowing what they are learning and how they are spending their time. I am comfortable with being able to protect my children from bullying, and being there for them to help them come up with ways to deal with problems. I love sharing life experiences with them, and introducing them to life beyond the walls of a classroom. And yes, this is exciting to me! This wonderful journey through my children's childhoods. I want to experience it, too.

No comments: