So often I think about what I'll do when my real life begins. As if this life as mother of small children is only pseudo-living, and when they grow up I'll start really living.
A tap on the shoulder awakens me from this haze as I look around and realize, "Amy, this is life!" Consider your role in the here and now. It is not pointless, it is not small and insignificant! Answering the call of a little child's need for help is huge in the eyes of that child. It is teaching them trust, it is teaching them humility, it is teaching them how to be able to do for themselves some day.
Nurturing a child sets them up for the rest of their life. From the very beginning, you are laying the foundation for who this child will be and what they'll do. Will they be trusting? Trust-worthy? Will they be honest? Will they be helpful? Will they have self-confidence? Will they be self-sufficient? Will they know wisdom? Will they be able to problem-solve? What you do each moment of each day points them somewhere. Will it be toward goodness?
If I feel that mothering is insignificant, isn't that teaching my children that they are insignificant? Parent like it's the most important job in the world, and your kids will reap the benefit of incredible parenting. Afterall, shaping tomorrow's leaders is pretty important.
No comments:
Post a Comment