Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Lessons From the Breast

Too Much, Too Often

The other day while I was nursing Molly to sleep and reading and trying to knit all at the same time, it hit me that maybe my multitasking abilities aren't truly benefitting anyone here. Sure, I can stir dinner on the stove while nursing the baby, teaching a geography lesson and washing dishes, but more often than not it leads to a bubbled-over pot, a half-washed sink of dishes and a child frustrated with a mama that can't give him more of her attention. I put my knitting and my book down and looked at my baby. This baby who is now 10 months old. Where did the time go? Wasn't she just born yesterday? I have been so busy cleaning and reading and making and doing while she has been growing up right beneath my busy hands.
I've noticed that my mind, my body, all of me has a hard time with focusing and staying with just one thing at a time. I'm sure this has been formulated through the years as more and more children have been added, and more and more "things" have needed to be done. There are times when a mom has to do more than one thing at a time. This is life. But, there are also times, like when I'm nursing Molly to sleep, that I can just focus on that one thing, if not for just a little portion of time.
I'm like the busy bee buzzing around from here to there quick as can be and doesn't get a chance to stop and notice the beauty of the flowers she flies in and out of, nor taste the sweet honey that she spends her whole life making.
I've felt convicted lately about all the business I've brought into my life. The story of Mary and Martha in the Bible is a telling example of how God doesn't always want us to just go, go, go and be so busy that we forget to stop and just listen to Him. We often feel like we need to *do* something, anything! We can't just be still. While Martha was busy in the kitchen and resenting Mary, Jesus praised Mary for stilling her hands and coming to just sit and listen to Him. When you're talking to someone, don't you feel better listened to, better respected when they take the time to stop what they're doing and just listen to *you*? This is something that I've tried to teach my children, but am ashamed to say that I don't do the same in return to them. How sad. I'm so busy doing life, that I'm neglecting what is most essential to life - the relational part. The looking and listening, and hearing not just the noise, but the heart of the matter.

1 comment:

Britt said...

girl you said it! I've been feeling the same, exact way. Even down the Mary and Martha story that keeps coming to my mind and convicting me of my "business". =( Like even at church - I'm like ok, I can join this committee, and do this activity, and help in the nursery and etc, etc (because I'm being a good little Christian, helping and participating, but when was the last time I STOPPED and was still and waited on the Lord? ) it's easy to be "busy" reading your Bible, listening to worship music - but we can't hear the voice of God as well as when we just sit. I'm guilty of always doing five things at once too; and John's always getting after me that I don't finish one. (I do, eventually... maybe not until that night, or the next day, or three days later!) But it's hard - because there is so much to be done, and if we don't do it - who will?!! but my grandma always told me "honey, the children won't remember if their clothes were ironed, or if their bed was made - but they'll remember the time you spent (or didn't spend) with them." such simple truths, but so hard to stick to in everyday life. The Bible says we are to remain teachable - and I think you and I are. At least we realize the necessity of putting our kids first, spending quality time with them, and are working toward that, asking the Lord to help us!