Friday, August 23, 2013

Treading Water

Nearly a week into our official house, I feel as if I'm finally staying afloat instead of sinking.  A local friend encouraged me to not be disheartened by Singapore due to what I saw in the downtown area.  She assured me that once I moved out of the city, I'd find more "real" people.  And she was right!  Phew!

We are still without our household goods, so for now we are making due with the hotel-like loaner furniture from the hubby's work.  We have beds and a table and...yep.  For some reason, having less stuff in a house makes me feel like I'm having to clean more often.  Or maybe it's just the size of this place that is causing that?  With so much floor exposed, I feel that I need to be keeping it constantly clean.  I'm eager for my rugs to arrive so that I can cover up some of this vast cold tile.

The kids have finished their second week of school and seem to be settling in well.  My youngest, whom I was loath to set free, seems to be flying far and wide.  She loves her teacher and her classmates, and loves the feeling of being a "big kid".  My oldest has yet to start his on-line schooling, so we have been easing into the school year with some review work, and getting back into the routine of being with one another one-on-one for the whole day.  It's been...work.  Not bad work, but work.

No comments: