Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A legacy for my daughter

As I look at your sweet, peaceful face, quiet and still in slumber, I dream about your future.
Who will you love? What will your passions be? Who will you become?
Motherhood has changed me. Though hedged in by firm goals, the stones of my planned-out future crumbled around me with the pregnancy and birth of my firstborn. I have never researched more, loved more, raged more, or wondered more than those few months of new motherhood. My past passions were mere childhood paddle pool splashings. They were interests, but how far will an infatuation with Fox Mulder take you? Now that I am a mother, my interests have changed. It is not about me, it is about you. The choices I make, the books I read, the issues I fight for, they are not for me, they are for you.
I want for you to be able to choose where you give birth, and not have to hide your decision from the world. I want for you to give birth uninhibited by preconcieved notions, unneccessary fears, or controlling people. I want you to believe in your body and how your Lord God made you. This fight is for you.
I want for you to give your babies the best nourishment God ever made. A milk that is produced only by you! I want you to feel confident in feeding your baby his/her perfect food. I want for you to be comfortable feeding your baby when he's hungry, where he's hungry. I want for others to accept you and make you welcome - breasts, milk and all. This fight is for you.
I want for you to be able to make the decision to stay home with your children and not be seen as wasting an education, not working, or taking advantage of your husband. I want for you to understand that motherhood is the hardest and yet the most wonderful way of life. It is more demanding and takes so much more skill than any job you will ever have, and I want you to feel the honor of having this job. I want for you to be seen as the dedicated, hard-working woman you will one day be. This fight is for you...

Your life will be different.
You will know the beauty of a baby's face emerging from your body, fully aware, fully in love.
You will know the freedom of feeding your baby wherever you need to without feeling a hint of shame, without being encumbered by modesty.
You will know the joy of loving and being loved by someone who respects you, who honors you, who delights in you, and holds you up high for the world to see that this is a woman who knows what it is to be a woman.

1 comment:

jen said...

so beautiful... you made me cry tonight. i want these things for my daughter, too...