Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pain

"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." - 1Peter 5:10

I haven't been sleeping much lately. My youngest is getting four new teeth. And my other children have all had nasty colds that have been keeping them from sound sleep.
In the night, when things seem to be at their worst, I can sense from my suffering children a sense of questioning; a plea of "why?"; and I don't know how to answer them.
I hold them, and rock them, sing to them, and give them comforting foods and drinks. I put my hands on them and wish that their pain could be taken away, yet I know that a life free from pain would be a life lacking experience.
When we grow, either physically or emotionally, there is pain. An immune system grows by fighting off germs. A mouth matures by pushing through new teeth. Inner-strength comes by struggling through conflict.
But until we see the positive outcome, going through that time of pain and suffering can seem hopeless. My baby doesn't understand that by holding her and walking her through the night, I am doing what I can to help her get through the pain. She just wishes the pain was gone, and doesn't understand why I won't take it away. My coughing child may not understand that my rubbing his chest is helping him cough better, when all he wants is to not cough at all.
I can see these situations in my spiritual life as well. When I am faced with pain and suffering, I often lash out at God, asking, "Why? Why can't you just take it away? Why did you allow this to happen?" Sometimes I don't hear an answer. Sometimes I mistake the fact that He didn't heal me, and didn't take my suffering away, for Him not caring for me. But He does! He is still holding me, comforting me, helping me *through* my suffering so that I can come out on the other side stronger, more mature, more capable. He did not leave me alone to fight my struggles by myself. He is always with me.

No comments: