Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have,
for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” -Hebrews 13:5In my role as parent, I am daily reminded of God's tireless efforts as our own Heavenly Father. Through each of my children, I see reminders of my faults and my own reactions to God's presence in my life.
Sometimes, it's the never-ending questions posed by my six year old. This reminds me that I often question God's intention, His purpose, and His whereabouts in my life, as if I deserve to know all, that He must be accountable to me.
Sometimes, it's in the the hard, but childish efforts of my five year old. His laborious efforts at cleaning his room never meet my expectations as an adult, though I love his dedication. As I'm sure God looks at my own efforts at doing good with a kind smile and loving pat to the head, though they will never meet His own expectations.
Sometimes, it's the way my three year old answers "Nothing!" to the simple question of "what are you doing?", while she hides her misdeeds behind her back. It reminds me of how I often think that if I call my sin something else, maybe I won't be held accountable to it, though, like a parent with that third eye, that sixth sense, God is always aware.
And sometimes, like tonight, it's in the way my baby needs to be constantly held as she gets through a fussy time of her short little life. As soon as I set her down, she's instantly aware that my arms are no longer wrapped around her, she cries out in sadness that I have abandoned her, though I am right by her side. It reminds me of how often I call out to God, feeling neglected because I'm going through a hard time, wondering where He is. And He's always there. He's always beside me. And, like I do for my baby, He picks me back up, holds me close, whispers comfort and peace in my ear, and waits for me to grow in maturity, to know that though I don't always feel Him holding me, He is still there.
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Never Leave Nor Forsake
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are amazing Amy. Thank you for that beautiful view of God and motherhood. I'm a bit teary...
Post a Comment