Sunday, June 19, 2005

What would it be like if it were different?

The middle one took a long, late evening nap, and is therefore sitting beside me, leaning on me as we watch a video together on the couch. I wanted to watch Life is Beautiful or Matchstick Men, two of the movies I picked up at the library, but with the little one's eyes still open, I had to go for a replay of "What a Girl Wants". It's Colin Firth. I'm happy.
As middle slept, it was just oldest and youngest taking charge of my attention, and all of a sudden parenting seemed ten times easier. There was no bickering, no fighting, no tug-of-wars over toys, just peaceful lincoln log building and laughing at youngest trying to nab our logs. What would life be like if we had spaced our children differently? How odd it was to see for a small split-second what life looks like with children four years apart, instead of two. It seemed so easy for the moment, but is that how it really would be?
It was nice, calm, and quiet, but soon we missed middle. We missed his cute antics, his joyful bantering, his pudgy hands helping us build and coming up with creations all on his own. We missed his giggly games with youngest. Thank you, Lord, for having a perfect plan for our life. Thank you for all my children and their perfect spacing.
Man, I'm hungry. If middle hadn't slept for so long, we would have all gone to the market to pick up some yummy food. Now, my choices are left over chinese or some cauliflower. And the ever-present oranges. I don't want any of that! I want some chocolate. Any shape, form or style. I thought I'd make me some homemade chocolate pudding (oh, so, heavenly!), but realized we are OUT OF SUGAR!! Out of sugar? How can that be? I guess that's a good thing, but my poor tastebuds!

No comments: